St Peter’s-by-the-Strand, served the Anglicans of the Atawhai area of Nelson from 1874-1983, when it was moved to Founders Park, Nelson.
When the church was built it was described as ‘quite an ornament for the passing traveller to behold with its belfry and three gilded crosses’.
The original belfry was demolished after being deemed unsafe in 1941, but is now rebuilt. The belfry also holds the clock that used to tick off the hours at Nelson College - until the 1929 Murchison Earthquake tumbled the clock tower.
The church also now has a nun's stall that came from the Nelson Convent, new stained glass windows and other artifacts from old Nelson churches.
It is available for hire as a wedding venue. https://www.flickr.com/photos/philbraithwaitenz/42992990401