9/9/14

A different sort of pill box

We came across this piece of history as we walked along the river at Waitara. I thought it was cool so I checked out its history.


During World War II the Home Guard was formed in New Zealand, becoming compulsory and formalised as the second line of defence in early 1942. The local Home Guard Battalion defended a number of localities along the Taranaki coast, especially around the former Bell Block Aerodrome. The Waitara Company was responsible for the coast from Waipapa Stream to Waiongana River. One platoon was assigned beach defence while another defended the freezing works.
This concrete machine gun pill box was one of two installed at Waitara by army engineers. The other can be found on West Beach off the end of Broadway, slowly being overtaken by coastal erosion.      http://www.waitara.co.nz/index.php/history/heritage-trail




Apparently, the name 'pill box' comes from the shape of the first built. This one is called 'arrowhead' and is a common shape in the North Island. Round ones were more common in the South Island.

Rubbish Tuesday

What's the Story?

14 comments:

Tom said...

I believe that I heard the term pill box years ago, but would have had to search for its meaning. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Leesha said...

How interesting.. I love a good dose of history!

Tanya Breese said...

i had never heard of that before, interesting!

Roan said...

I've never heard of the term berfore. I love history and historical sites. Very interesting! Thanks for linking up!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Hey that is cool, and very well preserved so far!
Wren x

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

I've heard the term "pill box"... Born in 1937, of course I have.

But never saw a photo of one.

I take it, that there is a trench, on the other side, of what we see in your photo... And men lay in there, and shot, through those "holes"....

Interesting piece of history!

Tessa~
Upper NE of the US

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

Btw, I do not "do" Google+.

Next to my Icon, top of my Comment, is a click-able link back to my Blogger blog... "Here there be musing" blog

Tessa~

Louisa said...

It's really interesting to learn the history behind landmarks. #whatsthestory

Anonymous said...

This was very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

bj said...

Very interesting...

Janey and Co. said...

I would feel very safe in there. I would be a good tornado
shelter as well.
Thanks for the visit...Janey

doodles n daydreams said...

There is a lot of history around these shores. You've prompted me to go and see the disappearing gun on our peninsula, if it's still there, haha.

Diana

Ida said...

It's neat to find things like this and learn a bit of history. I think this is pretty cool.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Interesting bit of history ... kind of makes you think to stumble upon one of these!