1/12/18

my Okato Beach

These are shots that I took at Okato Beach on New Year's Eve. You can see Hubby's photos here.
It was quite a hike for an old lady, such as myself, so we probably won't be going back.

The black sand formed a flat beach that dropped off at the tide line and
the low tide watermarks were gorgeous.

I couldn't find any information about this bit of man-made structure. I shall keep looking.

I love how smooth the water has made the rocks and wonder how big they were.


While sitting in the sand enjoying the scenery, I noticed these itsy, bitsy shells. Of course,
you can't tell from this shot.

So, I took them home and put them next to a 'normal' conch that is about 3.5 inches/8.9cm wide.





Little Things

Thankful Thursday

Nature Notes


If you like photo link-ups, click on the 'photo memes' tab at the top for a 
list for every day of the week!

13 comments:

Tom said...

...such wonderful looking rock and shells.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Living on a pebbled coastline here, it always amazes me how the smallest shells can remain intact against the forces of nature! I can almost smell the salt and seaweed in your images. YAM xx

Anonymous said...

Am seeing green with envy about all you found at the beach - the imprints on the conch is sooo pretty!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh gosh Betty....I can almost hear the water...I have been to a black sand beach...beautiful...Michelle

Michelle said...

Beautiful photos. I haven't been to a black sand beach before, but would like to visit. Thank you for linking up today and hope to see you back again next week!

Taken For Granted said...

Fine photos from this black sand beach. The walk there was probably healthy, and you got great photos and a wonderful collection of sea shells. Perhaps you will go back soon?

Annie said...

Just beautiful photos. I love the dark sand and the grass.

Birgitta said...

Beautiful great photos!

bookworm said...

I live over a hundred miles from the ocean so love to see beach shots. I have never been on a black sand beach and enjoyed your photos, especially the shells. I've done a little shelling at Sanibel Island, in Florida (United States) but again, that is a long way away for me. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

Amy said...

I just love the driftwood sculptures people make on our beaches- they are such a good focus point.

Bill said...

What beautiful photos. I like your sea shells. I collect some here too on the shore walk. I have never seen a black sand beach before until now, thank you for showing it.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a great hidden treasure! Love the purple and the miniature shell collection~ Glad you shared, it sounds like a walk I probably wouldn't make ever for the reason you say (only it is even truer for me).

Tamar SB said...

Gorgeous!