9/24/17

feathered friends

Every morning, rain or shine, they sit on the fence and patiently wait for me
to put out some birdseed on the driveway. 

The male chafinch hops around
on the front porch rail when he's hungry.

Finches


Out in the paddocks, I hear plovers who make their nests on the flat fields
 but haven't got any photos. 
And the heron regulars have been to the water trough but the photos
didn't turn out. I did get this pair of paradise ducks taking a rest.

The kingfisher that hangs around the house gets 
pretty close, enough for photos.

The skittish starlings are building a nest in our garage, I think.

The blackbirds are really skittish, too, and fast!

And then there is the elusive hawk that I call Twitchie.
With all the time I spend trying to get photos of him, I
usually come up empty. Then I noticed him land a few paddocks over.

And most of my shots of him overhead aren't very sharp, so I 
was happy to get this one.


14 comments:

Nicole/Frau Frieda said...

Great shots, dear Betsy. I like the birdies of your homeland. The finch a great and the blackbirds a so fabulous. Especially the bird of prey is interesting to me, but those are dangerous for my lovely chicken. Have a nice sunday. Greetings, Nicole

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
those are some might fine birdie shots!!! I fan feel your excitement at having gotten Twitchie in the lens... it's something I can relate to &*> YAM xx

Anni said...

Exceptional series Betty!!
Such a wonderful variety of birds you've seen nearby.

The hawk image in flight...magnificent. He is a very handsome one too.

Your post, and sharing, is always appreciated. I thank you for stopping by and adding your link this weekend at I'd Rather B Birdin'.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Betty! Wow, there are a lot of sparrows there. The male chaffinch is beautiful. Love all the finches. The ducks are pretty too. Great capture of the kingfisher, they are cool birds. The like the blackbird too, it has a colorful bill. Cool Hawk photos. Great post! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely photos! Over here it''s rare now to see so many sparrows together!

Lea said...

A wonderful selection of birds!
Great photos of the Hawk. I know how difficult it is to get good Hawk photos.
Love the beautiful Ducks!

Lebensperlenzauber said...

Großartige Fotos!
Ich mag die Tiere auch so gerne und freue mich sie hier so eindrücklich bei
dir sehen zu können.
Hast mir damit eine große Freude gemacht, gleich werde ich mir die Bilder
nochmal ansehen!
Hab mich über deinen Besuch und Kommentar bei mir sehr gefreut,lieben Dank!
Herzliche Grüße schickt dir
Monika*

A Colorful World said...

Such wonderful breakfast visitors! Love the shots of the hawk. Lovely post.

Noke said...

Tolle Bilder von den kleinen Freunden.

Noke

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh my! I think they've multiplied! And they are ALL hungry! What beautiful birds! Enjoy the week ahead...buy more seed!

Anonymous said...

Betty, theses little cuties on the fence are so precious and obviously have you trained!!! While I am not a fan of Starlings, they are a stunning looking bird although the Kingfisher is my favorite...after that awesome Hawk!...:)JP

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

it must be wonderful to see all the little birds come anad feed every morning.. I am sure they appreciate all you give them. Have a great week ahead.

Rhonda Albom said...

You've got a good collection of birds. Thanks for taking good care of them.

Pauline said...

Well done getting such sharp photos of those birds. I particularly like the chafinch shot. And the hawk, they are so hard to capture.