9/22/14

sunday drive

Sunday turned out to be a sunny day so we decided to visit one of our favorite beaches about an hour away. The view from the parking area always amazes me.


But when we walked down to the beach, the river had changed its course to the ocean and it was a bit deeper than I cared to wade through.  The ocean had also taken its toll on the coast and there were many warning signs that the edges of the cliffs were crumbling.

It didn't look very inviting and the tide wasn't out far enough to wander down the beach so Hubby decided to be spontaneous and wander down some of the road that we had never traveled before.

One of our stops was the cemetery at Waverley. There were many old plots and interesting headstones.

I don't know how old 'Little Claudie' was.

We came across a one-lane bridge that crossed the railroad line.

And a Harrier Hawk stopped and posed for me.

Since Taranaki is dairy country, there were lots of calves that were curious about the visitors and, probably, hoping we were there to feed them.


I was disappointed with the condition of the beach, but glad that I have photos of  it in its glorious beauty before the erosion started.  But, all in all, it was a great day to see the sights of Waverley and surrounding area.


11 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wonderful photo-tour; looks like you had a very satisfying day.

Roan said...

Love hawks! I wonder if Little Claudie passed away at birth. I like the headstones in black and white. Nice railroad, too!

Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

What beautiful photos from what looks like a wonderful walk, particularly like the last one with the calf. Popping in from What's the story.

Emma said...

As always great photos, such a beautiful country and hopefully in a few years time I will able to come and visit it!

Sharon Wagner said...

Nice curious cow. And sometimes a day off the beach is rewarding too.

Linda W. said...

Nice pic of the coastline. Sorry you weren't able to reach the beach, but it looks like you found lots of other fun things to visit.

Abby / Linda said...

Wonderful day and wonderful pictures! I love days like that. Sorry about the beach, but the photo is nice!

A Colorful World said...

That erosion is disturbing! The ocean and beach are so gorgeous in your shot! Love the sights of Waverly as well. Lovely post. Let us know how the beach fares.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Love the seascape but it is fun going down roads one has not travelled on before and you got some lovely finds. Love the Hawk. I have now safely arrived back from 6 weeks away so have LOTS of editing to do!! Thanks for looking in on my posts while I was away and commenting. I appreciate that very much.

Anonymous said...

looks like a perfect day....the beach scene with the waves is beautiful...as are the cute cows!!

Ida said...

Who would tire of that gorgeous view of the ocean. I'm sorry to learn that there is damage due to erosion though. It's great that you made the best of the situation though and found some sights you hadn't seen before. I really like the last shot of the cows.