4/21/10

Whakatane and Moko

While we were on the 'other' side of the North Island, we visited a friend in Whakatane. [Pronounced fa-ka-tawn-nee] It's a lovely seaside place with much Maori culture.


Our friend informed us that Moko, a wild-but-friendly dolphin, had been sighted closeby, so we went out to search for him. He has his own sites, you know...http://www.whakatane.com/moko-the-dolphin.html

And we found him in the bay, playing with some local kids! They were not in an accessible place, so we were content to take photos from afar.



In the harbor stands a statue of Wairaka, a Maori heroine whose story you can read here.







PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecilyand Pam

7 comments:

~Cheryl said...

What an interesting place! But I would never, ever be able to pronounce it!

subu.ps said...

I too peeked through your lens and found that the pics are awesome. Planning to peek again :)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Did you find any mussells in Whakatane.

This was one of the best experiences of my life. It was 1980, my cousin took us to the channel, and the water was over my head, it didn't stop me from diving into the mud bank and coming up with a cluster of over 20 mussels.

debi9kids said...

OMGOSH! How exciting about the dolphin! Very cool!
Fabulous photos!

Sorcerer said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G Shots..wow!

Pam Emmons said...

What a beautiful place and some fabulous pictures!

Appalachian Lady said...

Great photos and what a nice experience to see the dolphin playing with children. I love dolphins!